How Community Foundations Can Listen4Good
Webinar, June 29, 2020
Co-sponsored by CFLeads and Fund for Shared Insight
Fund for Shared Insight and CFLeads co-hosted this webinar to introduce community foundations to Shared Insight’s Listen4Good, an initiative designed to help organizations build high-quality, client-focused feedback loops.
Valerie Threlfall, managing director, Listen4Good, shared details about the two Listen4Good opportunities now available this summer — an 18-month co-funded, capacity-building grant program and a new, streamlined offering, Listen4Good Online+, for organizations interested in working more independently. Community foundations and other funders that signed the Council on Foundations’ COVID-19 philanthropy pledge were especially encouraged to consider a special offer to participate in Listen4Good Online+ as a way to help fulfill their commitments to listening and feedback.
Jennifer Aronson, associate vice president for programs, The Boston Foundation, shared her experience sponsoring nonprofits participating in Listen4Good. She talked about how the feedback initiative has affirmed the foundation’s shift “from transactional grants to transformational partnerships,” helped prioritize efforts to “get proximate” to and learn from the communities it serves, and readied it to more effectively and equitably respond to today’s crises.
Melinda Tuan, Fund for Shared Insight’s managing director, moderated the discussion, which included an introduction from Deborah Ellwood, president and CEO, CFLeads.
For more about Listen4Good:
- Featured video about Listen4Good
- Listen4Good co-funded round, information for funders
- Listen4Good co-funded round, information for nonprofits
- Listen4Good Online+, information for funders and nonprofits
- Listen4Good program comparison
For more about the relationship between feedback and equity:
- Fund for Shared Insight’s #Feedback4Equity
For more about the impact of feedback and listening:
- “How Learning to Listen Prepared One Funder for Its Crisis Response,” LaTida Smith, Moses Taylor Foundation, via The Center for Effective Philanthropy
- “Time for a Three-Legged Measurement Stool,” Fay Twersky, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, via Stanford Social Innovation Review
- “Bridging the Gap: A Review of Foundation Listening Practices,” Ekouté
- “Fulfilling Philanthropy’s COVID-19 Pledge: Listening in a Time of Crisis,” Valerie Threlfall, Listen4Good, Melinda Tuan, Fund for Shared Insight, Fay Twersky, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, via The Center for Effective Philanthropy
- “Feedback Can Be a Catalyst for Shifting Power and Making Big Changes,” Kelley Gulley, The James Irvine Foundation, Fay Twersky, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, via The Chronicle of Philanthropy